The Ayurvedic Skin Creams are by far our Best Sellers, but part of what makes them so popular is the fact that they are designed, formulated, and tailored for specific body types. Ayurveda understand the world through the Doshas (elements): Air/ Space (Vata), Fire/ Water (Pitta), and Water/ Earth (Kapha).
If you’re not sure what your primary Dosha is, you can take this quiz.
Or, keep reading to understand the impact of the different herbs in our blends and select the one that fits you best. As you shop, please note that we do not pair certain scent blends with certain herbal blends due to Dosha-related contraindications. (Ie. Some essential oils may be aggravating to Pitta types, etc). But please feel free to reach out if you’re looking for something specific. Ayurveda treats no two humans the same, and we love making custom blends or personalized essential oil pairings for our customers.
Healing Blend (Made for everyone): The Ayurvedic herbs in our Healing Blend are well known for their antioxidants and ability to fortify the skin tissues.
- Antioxidants and immune support from the herbs Ashwaganda and Bala, fortifying skin cells and promoting healthy cellular reproduction
- Calendula hydrosol heals and protects scrapes, scratches, and minor abrasions.
Healing Blend Ingredients: Sesame oil, Herbs of Ashwaganda, Bala, Coconut oil, Shea Butter, Sunflower Wax, Calendula Hydrosol, optional essential oils.
Vata Blend (best for those with stress, poor circulation, and thinner skin): The Ayurvedic herbs in our Vata Blend are prized for their soothing and calming impact on the body’s nerves. Perfect for the end of the day!
- Antioxidants and immune support from the herbs Ashwaganda, Bala, and Shatavari fortifying skin cells and promoting healthy cellular reproduction, keeping skin youthful and firm
- Passionflower, Valerian, Bhringaraj and Lemon Verbena soothe the nervous system, helping to relieve the impact of stress on the body
- Licorice, Lemon Balm, and Tulsi work with the circulatory system to promote blood flow
Vata Blend Ingredients: Sesame oil, Olive oil, Herbs of Ashwagandha, Bala, Shatavari, Passionflower, Bhringaraj, Licorice, Lemon Verbena, Tulsi, Valerian, Coconut oil, Shea Butter, Sunflower Wax, Lemon Balm Hydrosol, optional essential oils.
Pitta Blend (best for those with easily irritated skin): The Ayurvedic herbs in our Pitta Blend are known for their cleansing abilities; recommended for sensitive skin, or skin that breaks out easily.
- Manjista, Coriander, Musta, and rose cleanse the skin tissues and reduce inflammation, helping to soothe and prevent break-outs, rashes, or other skin irritations
- Passionflower, Licorice, and Lavender keep the tissues cool and even the color of the skin tone
- Shatavari, Brahmi, and Guduchi help to renew the skin, keeping it young-looking and supple
Pitta Blend Ingredients: Sesame oil, Sunflower oil, Herbs of Brahmi, Guduchi, Shatavari, Manjista, Passionflower, Licorice, Coriander, Musta, Lavender, Coconut oil, Shea Butter, Sunflower Wax, Rose Hydrosol, optional essential oils.
Wait, Where’s the Kapha blend?
Vata and Pitta are more likely to be dry. Think about it: Vata is air, air blows across the lake and dries up the water. Pitta is fire, fire heats up the lake and the water evaporates. They both remove moisture; they both act against Kapha, which is the element of water. So both Vata and Pitta elements can be pacified and balanced with oils and fats, like coconut oil and shea butter.
While the herbs in our blends speak to specific doshas (elements) and body types, the blend of shea butter, coconut oil, and sunflower wax are tridoshic. Shea for Vata, coconut oil for Pitta, and sunflower wax for Kapha.
Because Kapha is the element of earth and water, Kapha is moist and soft by nature. Kapha skin is naturally soft and doesn’t need the moisturizing power of shea and coconut oil. In fact, these ingredients would be too heavy for kapha skin. So for Kapha, we have a more simple blend of herbs and sunflower wax. It’s much less of a lotion and so much more of a spread- a pudding like mixture that goes on the skin as warm butter goes on toast. We call it Cellu-Aide, but it is in essence, our “Kapha Blend”.